Those who ignore history are bound to repeat it.
Anyone who can remember the ‘free speech’ movement of the 60’s, the riots of the 70’s, and the disaster that was Woodstock should be able to see how this ‘Occupy Wall Street’ is going to play out.
In my last article on Occupy Wall Street, I mentioned the similarities between this movement and the free speech movement of the 60’s. How their hap-hazard organization would allow them to be used as tools and their demands would morph into things that had nothing to do with their original demands.
Those similarities are growing. The lack of any central theme, the general appearance of the participants, and their total disregard for other people’s property are just a few.
As indicated in these photos:
I think this article from the Washington Post is a accurate summary of the conditions in Zuccotti Park
It should be apparent to everyone the union is behind this movement and has made good use of these fools. But now there is another behind the scenes instigator. There are possible ties to George Soros, which brings this movement into a whole other realm, a dangerous realm.
Why dangerous you ask; mobs with money are dangerous. It will not be long before mob violence takes place and people will die.
Let’s look at the movements list of demands (from their website).
This list is a “PROPOSED LIST OF DEMANDS (please help edit/add so this can be submitted for consideration to those maintaining the official list) (User Submitted)
1. CONGRESS PASS HR 1489 (“RETURN TO PRUDENT BANKING ACT”
This demand sounds reasonable on the surface. But the separation they want would make virtually all banks unable to invest depositors’ funds, which would destroy interest income. It also would step on the courts ability to rule regarding definitions of parties involved.
2. USE CONGRESSIONAL AUTHORITY AND OVERSIGHT TO ENSURE APPROPRIATE FEDERAL AGENCIES FULLY INVESTIGATE AND PROSECUTE THE WALL STREET CRIMINALS
What about the government criminals? Is it fair to demand investigation and possible prosecution for those in the private sector and completely ignore anyone in the government? The art of accusing others of what they themselves are guilty of is normal for liberal leaders and President Obama is a master at it.
3. CONGRESS ENACT LEGISLATION TO PROTECT OUR DEMOCRACY BY REVERSING THE EFFECTS OF THE CITIZENS UNITED SUPREME COURT DECISION which essentially said corporations can spend as much as they want on elections.
Reversing a Supreme Court decision by mob rule? That has disaster written all over it. When the law of the land is thrown out anarchy is not far behind
& RE-ESTABLISH THE PUBLIC AIRWAVES IN THE U.S.
Are they referring to public airwaves; Like NPR? And just exactly which ‘public’ did they have in mind? Are they referring to the public of the “99%” or the “1%”? And who will decide what is public? Will it be ‘neutral’ like NPR was? When was the last time you heard anything conservative on NPR?
When they say “Public,” they mean government funded, meaning taxpayer funded. They mean they want if for free.
4. CONGRESS PASS THE BUFFETT RULE ON FAIR TAXATION SO THE RICH AND CORPORATIONS PAY THEIR FAIR SHARE & CLOSE CORPORATE TAX LOOP HOLES AND ENACT A PROHIBITION ON HIDING FUNDS OFF SHORE.
The Obama jobs bill. This is what’s at the heart of this whole exercise. What exactly is fair taxation? And who will determine it?
And by the way; companies are investing their money overseas, not hiding it. And they are doing it because the U.S. has one of the highest corporate tax rates in the world. Do you look for the lowest price when shopping for a particular item, or do you intentionally seek out the highest price, or the state and county with the highest rate of tax?
When you invest your money do you look for the lowest rate of return or for the highest? Then how is it o.k. for the individual and not the corporation? That is not the definition of fair.
5. CONGRESS COMPLETELY REVAMP THE SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION
A demand which includes; “This agency needs a large staff and needs to be well-funded.” A move that would grow government, increase taxes, and continue pushing the middle-class further into poverty. When you start hearing the government or a group of non-productive losers using the word fair, the outcome is the same; the middle class becomes a little poorer and more dependent on the government.
6. CONGRESS PASS SPECIFIC AND EFFECTIVE LAWS LIMITING THE INFLUENCE OF LOBBYISTS AND ELIMINATING THE PRACTICE OF LOBBYISTS WRITING LEGISLATION THAT ENDS UP ON THE FLOOR OF CONGRESS.
Has Harry Reid seen this? This seems like another reasonable request (on the surface anyway). But the devil is in the details, and the devil starts by redefining words that have been twisted into a whole other meaning than the original definition.
7. CONGRESS PASSING “Revolving Door Legislation” LEGISLATION ELIMINATING THE ABILITY OF FORMER GOVERNMENT REGULATORS GOING TO WORK FOR CORPORATIONS THAT THEY ONCE REGULATED.
But the execs at GE get a pass since they work with Obama?
8. ELIMINATE “PERSONHOOD” LEGAL STATUS FOR CORPORATIONS.
This demand is a twisting of the 14th amendment. How can you sue a non-entity? A non-entity, by definition does not exist, and cannot be sued. The decision they want removed would in fact be to their detriment.
Aren’t Demands 1,2,3 and 5,6,7 addressed by the Frank-Dodd consumer protection legislation? Did these protestors read that legislation and not understand it? Did they decide that it would NOT protect them as consumers? That must be the case. Of course I think the Frank-Dodd bill is a farce as well.
Did you notice that not one of these demands is going to fix anything? They offer no solution to their situation. How are any of these demands, even if they were met, going to create a better life for them?
They won’t, and these fools don’t realize that this movement is only meant to destroy, not create. They will not be happy until everyone is in debt, and everyone is broke. Misery loves company and so does stupidity.
I couldn’t help but notice this portion of the list of demands header:
“please help edit/add so this can be submitted for consideration to those maintaining the official list”
They don’t know what they want so they are asking for suggestions? That’s like asking what I should do with my life. Which I think is exactly what these disillusioned people are asking
This is what Nancy Pelosi and President Obama has decided to have empathy for? What is Obama’s position on all of this? We can only surmise since our President refuses to take a position. President Obama refuses to be a leader.
I surmise that he is encouraging this movement; the more this is in the news, and the more that Wall Street is vilified, the more attention is drawn away from his failures. But it will take more than this movement to fully turn attention away from his failed policies and his failure as a President.
I have a couple of demands myself:
1. I demand that President Obama chose a side on national television on the Occupy Wall Street movement and state his position exactly.
2. That every protestor posts their names and addresses on the Occupy Wall Street website so that the names can be investigated to see if they are receiving any government benefits (like unemployment, snap, etc). If they are, I demand that these funds (my tax money) be cut off while they are protesting. Why should my tax money be wasted on them? I would prefer my tax money be used for more constructive purposes.
3. That the names be cross checked to see if any of the protestors are civil employees (teachers, city or state government employees). If they are then their pay and benefits (which is also my tax money) be suspended until they return to work with no make up of lost wages. If they want to protest, then it should be at their expense not mine.
As an example;